21st April is National Tea Day so we've put together 11 facts and tips about the Great British institution. Grab a cuppa and read on.
1. Black, green, white and oolong are the main types of tea. They're all from same plant called Camellia Sinensis but are processed in different ways.
2. Always use a cup for tea. Tea should be slightly cooler before drinking it, so to release heat the traditional teacup is slightly shorter/wider than a coffee mug.
3. Black tea needs five minutes to brew and green teas need three minutes to ensure optimal taste.
4. The number of recommended cups of tea to drink each day is 4.
5. 98% of people take their tea with milk, but only 30% take sugar in tea.
6. 96% of all cups of tea drunk daily in the UK are brewed from tea bags.
7. Tea breaks are a tradition that have been with us for approximately 200 years.
8. By the mid 18th c. tea replaced ale & gin as the drink of the masses to become Britain's most popular beverage.
9. Turkey drinks more than twice the amount of tea as the UK. We drink 2.74kg per capita, while Turkey drinks 7.54kg.
10. Apart from tourism, tea is the biggest industrial activity in India.
11. Finally, Lalith Lenadora, the East India Company's chief tea taster, has these tips to really taste your tea.
"Take a small sip and let it cover the tip of your tongue, then take a second sip and taste it with the back of your tongue. Now your tastebuds are all awake as you take a third sip."